File a Claim for Your Southfield Car Accident

There are many types of Michigan auto insurance claims for vehicular negligence if you are a victim of a crash in Southfield, MI. You can make a claim against the driver of the other car; you might have to make a claim against the owner of the vehicle; you may also be able to make a claim against the person who served the other driver alcohol if he or she was intoxicated at the time of the accident. Each of these claims will have a statute of limitations that will restrict the amount of time you have to file a claim. Filing a claim does not mean you are suing someone. Many claims are settled and never make into a court room. Having a Southfield car accident attorney to assist you in the process will ensure you get the settlement you deserve.

No-fault in Michigan

The state of Michigan requires every car that is driven on the road to be covered by no-fault insurance. There are different amounts of coverage available to you, but every registered vehicle must have at least basic coverage. Driving a car or motorcycle without insurance is against the law. Anyone who gets into an accident while driving a vehicle that is not covered by insurance can be held personally responsible. If a person is injured in a personal injury car accident within the city of Southfield and the driver of either vehicle does not have insurance, it is important to call a Southfield car accident attorney right away.

Coverage Choices

You need to know and understand that there are different levels of coverage that can be applied to your car. Your choices for coverage usually depend on the amount your vehicle is worth. Two of the choices are either full coverage or comprehensive coverage. Full coverage does not mean that everything is covered, despite how it sounds. Full coverage usually does not cover medical payments coverage, uninsured motorist coverage, or customized parts on your vehicle. It is generally the coverage preferred by motorists with newer cars. Comprehensive coverage only covers damages to your vehicle that do not come from a collision. This type of coverage will pay for damages from storms. It will also pay for damages due to theft. If your car is stolen it may pay toward the replacement of the vehicle. If you only have comprehensive coverage and get into an accident, this coverage will not pay for the damages to your vehicle. Comprehensive coverage is generally chosen by motorists that have older cars and do not want to pay for full coverage.

Is There a Fee For Filing A Claim?

There is rarely a fee for filing a for filing a claim with the insurance company, however you may have a deductible that will need to be satisfied before the insurance company will pay on your claim. You may have to pay for copies of your medical records or other reports. There may be other costs to you if you do not follow the rules of your insurance company for repairs and service to your vehicle. Some insurance companies have specific inspection and repair shops that you must go to in order to ensure your claim is paid fully. You should always check with your insurance company to ensure you go to an approved center and avoid adding any extra out of pocket costs to yourself during this process.

Mini Torts – Not a Dessert

In this situation, mini torts are not a dessert option. A mini tort is an option for a Michigan auto accident victim which allows them to collect some money from the negligent party in a car crash. The maximum amount of money you can receive is $1000. A mini tort is something you can pursue if you are less than 50% at fault in the accident. You must have either a deductible to pay or in a situation where the damages would not be covered by your collision coverage on your vehicle. Michigan does not require drivers to have collision coverage on their vehicles, thus a mini tort can get you up to $1000 towards the damages on your vehicle caused by the accident. A mini tort does not cove injuries received by you or your passengers. You will have to contact the other party’s insurance company to see what they require for filing a mini tort.

You Have to File a Claim for Your Southfield Car Accident

You have to file a claim for your Southfield car accident. To do this you have to contact your insurance company. If there is paperwork to fill out or forms to sign they will let you know. Be prepared to give them copies of any information you collected at the accident scene. This would include notes or pictures you took after the crash. If you have any information on witnesses, be sure to give that to your insurance claims adjuster as well. If things get too complicated contact a Southfield car accident attorney to help protect your rights and ensure you get everything you deserve.

What is an Insurance Claims Adjuster?

An insurance claims adjuster is the person who investigates insurance claims. He or she works for your insurance company and is responsible for reviewing the accident and medical reports, speaking to police and witnesses, and figuring out how much the damage to your vehicle is worth. Whenever you are in an auto accident in Michigan, you will speak to a claims adjuster. Because the claims adjuster works for the insurance company you want to make sure you are honest, but careful with everything you say. If you do not know the answer to his questions, do not say what you think the answer is and do not exaggerate your answers. Speaking to insurance adjusters can be scary for some people and may be best handled with the assistance of an attorney. If you have been in an auto accident in Southfield and are afraid to speak to the insurance adjuster, contact a Southfield auto accident attorney to assist you. Having an attorney watching out for your rights is always a good thing.