Filing for Divorce in Michigan
Filing for divorce in Michigan is likely to be one of the most difficult decisions a person will ever make. These decisions often come with a lot of uncertainty and confusion, so talking to an experienced attorney can help alleviate a lot of the fear that comes with filing for divorce.
Statutory Requirements of Filing in Michigan
For a Michigan court to have jurisdiction over a divorce, one of the parties must have been a resident of the state of Michigan for at least 180 days prior to filing. A party must also have been a resident of the county filed in for at least 10 days prior to filing. Finally, every complaint for divorce must include the statutory grounds for divorce: “There has been a breakdown of the marriage relationship to the extent that the objects of matrimony have been destroyed and there remains no reasonable likelihood that the marriage can be preserved.”
What Gets Filed?
The initial filings which are required to commence a divorce case are dependent on whether the parties have minor children together or whether spousal support is being requested. If there are no minor children between the parties, a complaint gets filed with a summons, filing fees and record of divorce (a form that may get filed at the end of the process as opposed to the very beginning depending on the particular court). If there are minor children, or if spousal support is being requested, a verified statement must be submitted to the friend of the court.
* 15 minute phone family law consult consultation – $49
* 30 minute phone divorce and separation consultation – $69
* 30 minute phone child custody and child support consultation – $69
* Review of prenuptial agreement (up to 10 pages) – $69
* Review of postnuptial agreement (up to 10 pages) – $69
* Document review judgment of divorce (up to 10 pages) – $99
* Legal separation with children document review, judgment of separation (up to 10 pages)- $99
* Uncontested divorce without children in Oakland county, Macomb county and Wayne county – $1,499 (plus court & filing fees)
* Uncontested divorce with children in Oakland county, Macomb county and Wayne county – $2,149, (plus court & filing fees)
* Court filing fees – $175 – $230
* Engage a process Server – $50 – $100
* Court reporter for deposition – $75 attendance fee, $200+ for transcription fee
* Interpreter (for non-English speaking clients) – $100 – $300
* Some restrictions may apply, please call (248) 588-3333 for details.
* Must mention these rates when contacting our law firm.