DUI Expungement in Michigan

If you have been convicted of a drunk driving offense, it is likely that your life has been hampered by a judge’s sentencing and the Michigan Secretary of State. But the impact of a drunk driving conviction does not end there. The consequences of such crimes have the potential to negatively impact the lives of those arrested for such offenses for years into the future. Needless to say, drunk driving offenses are not looked upon kindly by many people.

What is an Expungement?

An expungement is the process by which a public record becomes a non-public record. So, the drunk driving charge is always going to be there should you get arrested again later on. Judges, probation officers and the police will be aware. However, most employers and schools may not dig that deeply. They typically have access only to public information. So, if you’re trying to land a new job, or filling out an application for college or graduate school, it probably makes sense for you to expunge a drunk driving conviction.

Can I Expunge My DUI Conviction?

The only answer that any lawyer can give to a question such as this is: It depends. It depends on your criminal history, and how long ago the offense committed occurred. Only one offense in one’s lifetime may be expunged from a criminal record. Therefore, if you have been convicted of other crimes, either before or after the offense you wish to have expunged, you are out of luck. Also, five years must have passed since the conviction or since you were released from imprisonment for the offense.

Get a Michigan Criminal Defense Attorney

Don’t let past transgressions hinder you in the future. We are experienced criminal defense lawyers, and we have handled many expungements in the past. While a drunk driving charge may not seem that serious to you, it is important to realize that others may not share that same view. It is also important to note that our office handles the expungement of many different offenses, although, not all crimes may be expunged from one’s public record. Only an attorney can tell you whether your offense can be. Let us wipe your slate clean; contact Akiva Goldman & Associates for a free initial consultation today at 586-268-2400.