Michigan Child Support FAQ’s

The questions provided below are frequently asked questions regarding child support in the state of Michigan. If you find that your question is not answered below please contact us for a consultation.

Q: Who are eligible for applying for receiving child support services?

A: To be eligible for applying for child support services, a person will have to meet the following conditions:
(a) He/she is the parent or custody of a minor child.
(b) That minor child lives with the person in his/her home.
(c) The child is dependent on that person for living expenses.
(d) One or both parents of the child do not live with the child.

Q: What are the useful documents to apply for child support services?

A: Applicants for child support services should try to collect the following documents before applying for support:
(a) Court order for child support or copy of divorce decree.
(b) Birth certificate of the child involved.
(c) Documents related to the both parents’ income and assets (bank statement, tax returns, paycheck etc.)

Q: Can a grandparent or relative of a child apply for child support services?

A: Yes. A relative or grandparent of a child can apply for child support services if that relative or grandparent has responsibility for the care of the minor child.

Q: How is child support calculated in Michigan?

A: Michigan has a Child Support Formula which is updated regularly. The formula considers the total available income of each parent in determining the child support. Child support is calculated on the basis of the income of both parents and the number of children. Child support is calculated on the basis of shared economic responsibility if both parents share parenting time with the children for more than one hundred twenty eight days per year.

Q: How the amount of a child support can be changed?

A: Either of the parents may apply to the court to modify the support amount if there is a noteworthy change in circumstances; for instance, the child no longer lives with the person who is receiving support, a parent becomes disabled, or a significant increase or decrease in income of a parent.

Q: How long does child support continue?

A: Generally, child support is paid until the child attains the age of eighteen. Support will be continued up to age 19.5 if a child has not yet finished high school; however, on condition that the child is enrolled in high school on a full time basis, and has a rational anticipation of graduating.

Q: Is child support taxable income to the person who receives support?

A: No. It is not considered income of the person who receives, nor is it deductible to the person who pays.

Q: What is MiCase and what information is available from there?

A: MiCase is a Web site from which parents can collect their support case information. Parents are able to get current payment and information about enforcement information with a MiCase ID and password.

Q: What does the Michigan State Disbursement Unit (MISDU) do?

A: All child support payments in Michigan are received and disbursed by the MiSDU. MisDU is responsible for sending child support collections to the recipient by use of the debit card or electronic direct deposit into the recipient’s savings or checking account. This affords recipients with a convenient, safe and secured modus operandi for collecting their payments.

Q: What do I do if I am a minor parent or if I lose my job or my income decreases?

A: A non-custodial parent is responsible for supporting his or her child even if that parent is a minor. The court will consider a young parent’s income and decide how much support will have to be paid. The parents are required to inform the Friend of the Court in writing when their income changes. Until the court modifies the amount, parents will have to pay the existing support amount.

Q: Do unmarried parents need to establish paternity if the father provides support?

A: Yes. Unmarried parents are required to establish paternity to determine the legal parental relationship between a man and a child. It may be done by a court order or through an Affidavit of Parentage form. Such unmarried father of the child may provide support for the child; however, there is no legal relationship without establishing paternity. A child is legally entitled to have financial support and other resources from both parents. After establishing paternity, a child will have a legal father and will have the potential right of inheritance, and other benefits like life insurance, medical insurance, Social Security, and veteran’s benefits from both parents.

Q: How paternity can be established?

A: Paternity can be established spontaneously through signing an Affidavit of Parentage form (AOP) by the parents. If the alleged father or the mother is not sure about the paternity of the child, none of them should sign an AOP. In such a situation, paternity will be established through a court order possibly including DNA genetic testing.